Sunday, September 8, 2013

Kombucha: The Mountain Dew Edition

There are three ingredients necessary for kombucha brewing - sugar, caffeine, and a SCOBY. This is why when I read about Sandor Ellix Katz's friend making kombucha from Mountain Dew I had to try it! Beverages like Mountain Dew have the sugar and caffeine taken care of - so all I had to 'dew' was add a SCOBY.

I started this fermentation back at the end of May. Other kombucha batches that I started the same day began to show signs of fermentation a lot quicker than this one did - so I gave it some more time. However a few out of town visits and vacations meant that this batch fermented way too long as it is now pure vinegar!

I do not ususally drink pop - but I really want to try Kombucha Dew so I'm running out today to get another bottle!


What is the weirdest thing you've ever done with a SCOBY?
Would you try Kombucha-dew?

1 comment:

  1. I've been following your kombucha-blogging with interest! (Mostly because I hate the stuff and I'm really REALLLLLLLLLLY trying to see what others see in it)

    ReplyDelete