Saturday, October 8, 2011

Dough: Turnipseed Sister's White Loaf


I bought a new bread book, Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads. This book is huge, at over 600 pages. With so many delicious sounding recipes, it was definitely difficult to choose something to bake. However, once I read the write up for this bread, I knew I had to make it.

"I had taken my family, including my grandsons, to the home for one of the Turnipseed noontime dinners, and to get this recipe. When the meal had been served on platters down the center of the table, the sisters pulled up chairs to talk. The old dining room was quite dark at midday and one of the sisters was quite deaf and both spoke in rather loud voices. For the two little boys the excellence of the food was overshadowed by the the strange and loud voices in a dark Victorian dining room and I could see tears coming. I quickly got them into the sunshine out by the barn and the moment passed."

I wonder if those boys remember that day and the saving grace that bread and sunshine make...

Mix together
2 cup sourdough starter
2 cup warm water
3 cup flour
2 teaspoons sugar

Let sit overnight. In the morning add,
1/2 cup shortening
3 1/2 to 4 cups flour

Knead until smooth. Rise for 2 hours. Shape. Rise for 30 minutes. Bake 350 for 1 hour.

Notes: I enjoyed this loaf, and the story, but was disappointed by the lack of sourdough flavor. My starter was dormant for two weeks, and I do not think I successfully 'woke' him up before making this loaf.


No comments:

Post a Comment