Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Review: TofuXpress

Throughout my several years of being vegetarian and vegan, I have strictly disregarded recipe instructions that state 'press tofu'. I disregarded this information because
a) what could pressing tofu possibly do
b) I couldn't be bothered setting up a contraption with cans, plates and cookbooks as weights
c) I could never plan that far ahead

My perception of tofu has changed since I received a Tofuxpress. I realise that this is a very dramatic statement but pressed tofu is an entirely different product then non-pressed tofu. Pressed tofu is creamier. My tofu consumption has definitely increased since I received this product.


The press is easy to use, easy to clean, and easy to take apart and put together. The bottom can be used as a storage and/or marinating container and I appreciate that the lid for this container is stored on the bottom of the press because it negates rummaging through the container drawer for 20 minutes trying to find the right lid.

That said, the only real down-side of this product is the price tag. Although, if I begin to use it to press water out of other items (like spinach) and/or I get the light tension spring (which is very reasonably priced) the  price of the Tofuxpress could be rationalized.



The Small Print: This product was received for free in exchange for a review. The opinions expressed are mine and were not solicited.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! For some reason I thought that the tofu express was used to make tofu, not press it. I was thinking of getting one to help me start making my own.
    I'm not much of a presser either. Sometimes I do it and sometimes I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Tofu Xpress. I always had cans falling down, so I bought one as soon as I had some credit on Amazon. I like that I can pop it in overnight for a press, then add marinade the next morning. Ta-da, perfect tofu for when I get home from work! :)

    ReplyDelete