Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Thrifting for kitchen wares? Five Tips


--> As you may have noticed I have a tiny bit of a vintage kitchen obsession. Most of the vintage kitchen wares that come home with me are intended for daily (or occasional) kitchen use but a few are purchased due to primarily to delightful original packaging. Here are a few tips to help you develop your very own vintage kitchen obsession!

Research: During the course of your regular reading about food, take note of the style of pan used for that traditional dessert, the full priced cost of a copper pan, or the type of jar needed for that food project. I have discovered several awesome deals because I knew what the thrift store had – but they did not!

Visit high-end vintage stores: Visiting high-end vintage stores specializing in kitchen wares allows you to discover the asking price of speciality kitchen wares. If the high-end store has those measuring cups priced at $25, you will feel vindicated in spending $1 for them at the thrift store!


Frequency: Visit thrift stores with a certain amount of frequency to get the best deals. The turnover on some stores is quite fierce so they may have entirely new stock from one week to another. However, I thrift for fun, so I tend to return when the mood strikes me and I still manage to snag some amazing finds!

Open boxes: I have found a few interesting tidbits by digging around in boxes. If you truly explore the thrift store you may find things that other thrift hunters have hidden or things that have simply fallen out of sight. Dust covered kitchen wares offer an opportunity to practice your haggling skills!

Original Packaging: I love original packaging and will purchase almost anything if it comes in the original package. However, original packaging does not bode well for the usefulness of the item. If the kitchen ware is 60 + years old and has only be removed from the box once or twice? It's unlikely to be functional, but it will be pretty!


Did you enjoy the 'Five Tip' format? See my contributions in this style on: Campfire Chic and Span Studio
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment