Monday, April 2, 2012

Dollar Store Foodie: Apple Cider Dessert

One of my goals for next year is to improve my recipe development skills which is why I wandered around the dollar store for half an hour trying to think of a good idea. I picked up noodles, put them down. Picked up pudding, put it down. Picked up nuts, but it down. Finally, I had the idea to make a carmel apple version of nanomio bars. I found it difficult to determine what texture and ingredients should make up the middle and bulk of the bar.

My ingredients were:
1. shortbread cookies
2. powdered apple cider mix
3. apple juice
4. milk chocolate disks
5. soft carmel

First I ground up the cookies, adding some sugar and butter. This mixture was pressed into a spring form pan.
I boiled 2 cups of apple juice and 2 packs of the apple cider mix. I added 2 tablespoons of agar-agar to set it. I used way too much agar-agar. Pour into the spring form pan and let set.
Melt chocolate and drizzle over cake. Melt soft carmel and drizzle over cake.

I think the concept of carmel apple nanomio bars is a solid one but the middle layer simply wasn't that good. I did enjoy the process though. I would recommend it for anyone in a recipe development rut!

Original Post




No comments:

Post a Comment