Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A break from bread: Bowtie pasta


I grew up with homemade fresh pasta. Upon first moving away from home, homemade pasta became the only type of pasta I consumed. I had purchased a 12 dollar hand-cranked pasta maker and spend many university nights rolling out fresh linguine. Over time, I began to buy pasta. This saddens me, as fresh homemade pasta is a great joy, and I have begun to make pasta from scratch again.

In the past, I had made pasta in small quantities, to be consumed immediately after making. Then I began to freeze it in batches which is very reminiscent of the way I consumed homemade pasta as a child. I began to research shaped pasta and how to dry pasta at home. This information seems to be scattered throughout the Internet and I hope to accumulate some of this information in one place.


I use the eggless pasta dough from "How to cook everything Vegetarian" by Mark Bittman. This is a very basic and easy recipe. Take 2 cups flour (the bowties pictured are made from semolina), add a pinch of salt, and a splash of oil. Mix in 1/2 cup hot water. Knead until smooth. Let rest for 30 minutes.

Shaping Bowtie Pasta
Roll out the pasta dough as thin as possible. Let rest uncovered for 15 minutes. Cut into squares. To shape Bowtie Pasta simply squeeze the dough in the center. If it doesn't stick, wet your fingers and try again. It's that simple!

Spread out on cookie sheets and let dry for 24 hours. Cook like regular, purchased pasta.

8 comments:

  1. Cooool! I have always wondered how bowties are shaped.

    I haven't tried making pasta at home since going vegan, but you make it sound so easy that I might just have to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted to try homemade pasta. After reading your post, I feel it is doable. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is an ambitious thing to take on! Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh! beautiful! I've made ravioli from scratch before, but it's been quite a few years now. your little bow ties are so cute. Bow ties are one of my favorite shapes

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've inspired me to make homemade pasta :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pasta is a work of art! My Italian family's homemade pasta recipe has eggs. thanks for posting the egg free recipe you use ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to try making fresh pasta again, the first time I tried it was a bit of a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like homemade pasta and I like bowtie pasta, but never thought of how to make it myself.

    ReplyDelete